When we went on trips!
Horseback, Hike, Canoe, Huck Finn
and Van Trips!
Camping trips can come in many flavors at Catherine Capers. Generally, depending on staffing, scheduling, and weather, we had a goal of offering 5
types of trips: Berry Picking trips, White Water experience trip, Hikes, Canoe, Horseback, "Huck Finns" and Cultural Van
trips. Campers and staff on each trip helped choose & pack all food
and gear they needed for their kind of trip. When outdoors, of course we practiced "no-trace"
camping, contributing to the protection of our environment.
Horse Back Trips:
- Supper Rides - A late afternoon ride with a stop to cook & eat your supper before mounting up and riding back into camp.
- Overnight Rides - Pack
up gear and food for both you and your horse and ride to a campsite on
a local farm. Put the horses in a temporary pasture and enjoy your camp
out! The next morning cook a leisurely breakfast before riding back to
- Afternoon Hikes - Mellow, easy going climbs up local mountains. One looks down on nesting sites of endangered falcons. Another has a magnificent view and great wild berry picking.
- Overnight Hikes -
Pack your gear and hop in the van to a local Forest preserve. Hike to
your shelter to set up camp. Enjoy the view off Mount Antoine or take
a tour of the farm exhibit. At the end of your trip the camp van
returns to meet you at the edge of the woods and carry you back to camp.
- Floating Lunch - Paddle to the Sunken Island go wading and enjoy a picnic lunch in the canoes!
- Day Paddle - Canoe to the end of the lake , under the bridge, walk into Wells and get ice cream, or through the Lily Pond to the marina for a game of mini-golf and junk food.
- Overnight Camping - Canoe up the lake to the State Park or to the little lake to camp out for the night.
- Make like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer and
float down the local (very tame) river on tubes! These excursions are
especially fun for the smaller camper as the river adventures through
some Vermont fields and pastures with cows or take the canoes for a
journey down the Battenkill River.
- Go berry picking in a HUGE berry field. Each session has a different berry in season. Bring back enough for shortcake or other goodies for every one!
- Craft Tour - Visit several local craft studios and talk with the artists. Pottery to Wool Spinning and wood fired pizza. Half or Full day.
- Farm Tour - Visit a variety of local farms: Dairy, Emus, Llamas, Alpacas, Sheep. Half or Full day.
- Saratoga Back Stretch Tour - Early morning drive to Saratoga Race Track & Racing Museum. during session Full day.
- Champlain Valley and Northern Vermont- Fort Ticonderoga, Morgan Horse Farm,. Shelburne Museum, The Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Ben & Jerry's, The Vermont State House, Cabot Cheese Factory, Quechee Gorge and an Alpine Slide! Some can be visited in one day others can be grouped together for a 2 day tour spending the night camping at a good public campground.
- White Water Rafting Trips - to an area that held them and this experience differed with each year as the amount of water in the resevoirs governed the amount of water in the rivers.